As students in the school of business, a class in web development may be on your radar. A cursory understanding of the web technologies used to create online experiences will be valuable in the business world.
You are already armed with finance, marketing, and entrepreneurial skills—so let’s keep it going!
Show that you are intellectually curious, take initiative to explore, and think beyond your job description. Through furthering your skills in digital literacy, you will gain more control over the deliverables in your industry. You will also find some answers to the how and why questions!
If you plan on taking your first web development class soon, it may be helpful to get warmed up beforehand. Today, we explore one accessible tool for learning to help you start off strong.
Ladies Learning Code
Ladies Learning Code is a non-profit organization in Canada, empowering women to learn technical skills and programming. Gentlemen, you are certainly welcome too! Workshops are open to all skill levels, condensed into a day or two, and affordable.
What does it offer?
A few examples of the workshops available:
- HTML & CSS: Building a Multi-Page Website
- HTML & CSS: Building a One-Page Website
- Responsive Design for Beginners
- Getting started with WordPress & Blogging
There is a lecture component and a practical component. The pace is comfortable, questions are encouraged, and help is readily available.
What is covered in the HTML & CSS workshops?
A few examples of what you will do:
- Be introduced to a text editor.
- Learn HTML syntax and writing.
- Add navigation, images, and content.
- Learn CSS terminology and syntax.
- Reference the CSS.
- Create margins and padding.
- Create borders.
- Create page layouts—float, display, and flexbox techniques.
- Work with background images—repeat and no-repeat images, background position, background size, and a sticky footer.
So there you have it—short and sweet workshops to get you up to speed before your first day of class.
Explore your technical side this spring, and have a little fun!