Andy Jeong is the VP of Digital Media, responsible for all of the MA’s digital communication: photos, videos and online. What is that job like? To find out, Angela Sham sits down with Andy for an exclusive interview (his answers are in orange).
- Why did you join the MA Executive Board?
I joined the MA as I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone. Up until now I’ve just coasted by in school by doing the bare minimum; I wanted to change that.
- Can you tell us a little about yourself and your role as the VP of Digital Media for the MA?
Before BCIT, I spent a couple years at Douglas College unsure of what to do with my career. After hearing so many positive experiences with BCIT from friends and family, I decided to jump headfirst into this program for its hands on experience and accelerated curriculum.
As the VP of Digital Media I take care of all things digital including the website and the social media presence for the MA.
- Do you find it rewarding? Why?
Absolutely. To be managing the digital presence for the largest student run organization at BCIT is a challenging experience, but gives me experience and insights into digital marketing; something that I hope to pursue after graduation.
- What are you looking forward to the most in your position?
I’m really looking forward to the end of the year and see how the MA has progressed since the beginning of the year.
- Can you give me some examples about the activities/ projects that you guys did or are working on? Any memorable experiences?
The Digital Media committee has been working hard on the BCITMA’s social media presence for the 2016 Regional Conference; one of the largest events of the year. With the annual Fashion Show coming up, we’re excited to incorporate Snapchat geofilters; a first for the BCITMA.
- Has there been any huge challenge to make something happen? How did you and your team overcome it?
Fortunately not! The MA Executive team has been very supportive of every aspect of Digital Media, so it’s been smooth sailing so far.
- Is there anything you might want to advertise on behalf of your committee?
Follow the BCITMA on Facebook and Instagram at @BCITMA! It’s the best way to know what’s going on with the club and a chance to win a bunch of cool prizes too
- If you weren’t at BCIT, where do you see yourself right now?
I would probably be working on my business. Between school, work, and the BCITMA, this past year and a half has been a hectic whirlwind of stress.
- What’s your favorite place to eat on campus and why?
Austin Grill in NE1 for their tacos and poutines. You’ll feel so bad after, but it’s so worth it.
- Any tips for first years?
Don’t stress out too much about grades and instead focus on making meaningful relationships with your peers. Once you’re out of school, your personal reputation is your brand in the world and that’ll make or break a job opportunity.